Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sunflower Seed Rye

murder murder murder she wrote

This bread will be a lovecrime. It's my last sourdough bread!  Last barm bread except for the two at the end.  Yayz.  Peter promises that the bread "entails a commitment, but the results are so memorable that it is well worth the effort."  Peter <3 heteronormativity, apparently.

The bread begins with a soaker and starter:


The soaker is once again supposed to be coarse whole-rye (pumpernickel-grind) flour or rye meal + water, so I once again used dark rye flour.  This sits overnight.


And the starter is the same firm starter from our old friend sourdough (literally old friend, since I made this is 2010.  This project has been going on for way too long.  Yet, I still remember what a failure that bread was.  Like it was yesterday!  All these breads are like my children.) -- barm + bread flour + water.  This sits to double for four hours.

After four hours, I'm not sure it doubled, but I put it into the fridge anyway:


Bread baking is incredibly stressful.  Reflecting on this project, I'm not sure it was the best thing to undertake in grad school.  I will need a new project soon.  You should give me suggestions.  Or maybe I'll just buy a bike.  The next day!:


Rollin' around like I'm ready for a funeral

THERE IS A KNIFE IN THERE

Along with flour + salt + yeast + the firm starter + the soaker and a spoon too


Sunflo(u/we)r.  This is the name of my band.  I'm going to start one with my upstairs neighbor.  And by that I mean I'm going to start playing an instrument when he plays his guitar.  That would be funny, right?  I wish I knew how to play an instrument.


All blurry b/c I decided I don't like the flash.  With my 16-year-old-girl-camera.  Looks like bugs.  This, stirred up, sits for ninety minutes.  Maybe when I come back my brain will come with me, although I hope not.  It should stay with all the reading on nationalism I have to do.  Postcolonial bread.

After ninety minutes -- pretty!:


That sat for sixty to ninety minutes to become 1.5 times its original size.  And now look!


It's a fat donut.  It looks gross compared to the original, no?  So, then I baked this.  My oven sux.  So it's been so long since I've baked at a billion degrees that I forgot that sometimes when I bake at 500 degrees, my oven is like well, if you want HOT, I'll be like HELL up in this bitch and then just gets as hot as ovenly possible.  So, my bread kind of cooked in ten minutes and by cooked, I mean burnt.  A little:


I comfort myself by telling myself that burntness just looks artisanal, which is also so fun to say!  This rests for an hour, during which time I will attempt to motivate myself to read more.  Help?

I cut it like a bundt cake!  Chrome says bundt isn't a word, ps.


Um, so despite the burntiness, this is good.  Yay!  The last sourdough bread did work out!  Dare I give this a 4.5/5?!  Yay!!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment